Thursday, January 11, 2007

"Where mistakes have been made, the responsibility rests with me."
President George Bush,
January 10, 2007

One of my friends indicated that Bush admitted making a mistake in Iraq.

Honestly, I was hoping for more than the above quote.

Where have mistakes been made - what lessons were learned and applied?

When Clinton failed morally - we (meaning the church) endlessly berated and criticised. Yes, it was an abominable abuse of authority and a profound failure. "The Right" was dead-set on impeaching him.

Were the mistakes leading up to Iraq greater, lesser, or is it a matter of comparing apples to oranges? I'm not sure of any satisfactory answer - but I just was hoping for more from our President.

I truly enjoy our President, and appreciate his efforts to keep us safe, but I continue to pray and hope that the entire Republican 'system' can move more in the direction of personal accountability, humility, and away from political posturing. Especially those who declare Christ and reflect upon Him in their decisions.

Admitting you've made mistakes is difficult - but the source of great spiritual maturity when done without defending yourself - it cleanses the soul.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kyle,

Im glad you told me to read your post. I can not believe you are comparing the war in Iraq with the Monika Lewinski scandal.

Are you serious with this?

Bush did not go into Iraq for immoral or selfish reasons. Clinton did everything he did in the White House for immoral and selfish reasons.

The reason Bush went into Iraq was for the simple reason that he cared about our countries protection and thought it was the right thing to do.

To be clear I do not think Bush was apologizing for supposed mistakes leading up to the war in Iraq. The simple fact is the vast majority of Americans, including Democrats and Republicans agreed with the evidance that was laid out to go to war with Iraq.

Of course you will bring up the argument that no weapons of mass destruction were found ect... I agree but everyone agreed at the time that Iraq was a danger to the world. Evidence has come out that he did actually have the capability of making weapons of mass destruction and that some of the weapons were actually shipped to Syria before the war began. You just have to do some research.

Bush was appologizing for mistakes made during the way, ie troop levels and strategy.

I would not expect more from a man like Bush who is doing the best he can do given the circumstances.

To say that about the "republican" system also falls a bit short. Remember Democrats were in favor of the war but changed their stance only when it was benificial to them.

At least Bush has stood his ground over the long hall and has not wavered.

Kyle said...

so I guess you would say it is like comparing apples and oranges - I actually agree...though it is dangerous to say that Clinton did 'everything' for immoral and selfish reasons - absolutes can get us in trouble there.

my point is we don't KNOW what bush was saying the mistakes were - and I wanted a little more clarity.

I wouldn't bring up the WMD question - everyone thought there were WMD b/c Hussein WANTED us to think there were WMD - I understand that.

But not wavering - when you've MADE mistakes - that's a dangerous policy in life - and it seems like instead of LEADING in taking responsibility - the buck got passed for a few years.

Hence Rumsfeld's resignation two months ago.

My issue isn't with the war - it's a question of whether our leaders (in general - and our President who is self-identified as a Christian) can continue to grow in humility and meekness.

I pray for him - and appreciate our President - but I have zeal for his greatness in God ;)

Anonymous said...

Well said Kyle, I love you brent... but this is a false statement:

"I would not expect more from a man like Bush who is doing the best he can do given the circumstances"

The best Bush can/could do is man up to his mistakes... which after 3+ years he finally hinted at last week.. He started a war based on second hand information... I love Bush, I pray for him, and have ever growing respect for him... but he needs to answer to the consequences to his actions as all of of us do... I'm Jealous for him to apologize so that the nation can respect him the way they should, which they never will until his repentance is evident.