Friday, February 23, 2007

Things I Like About George W.

In the past months I've been reading up on the Iraq war a lot, and they have plenty to say about W...and almost none of it good. Although Rumsfeld, Cheney, Rice, and Wolfowitz take many punches as well; the buck stops in the Oval Office, and Bush takes a pounding from the liberals as well as the old guard conservatives.

With Bush's approval rating showing no liklihood of improving - I thought it would be nice to take a few moments to give a list of the things I actually appreciate about his unique brand of leadership.

  • Decisiveness: Whether you believe in his policies or not - you have to appreciate the fact that when the man makes a decision, it is clear he'd made a decision. There is little waffling, posturing, or maneuvering to avoid making the call.

  • Idealism: In some ways (according to his critics) one of his greatest weaknesses as well - he sets his mind on ideas and forms policy around those ideas - vs. a "Colin Powell" style pragmatism that can become paralyzing.

  • Down-to-earth: He holds international meetings at his ranch, and invites the leaders or Arab nations to jump in his 4x4 for a spin around the property while he gets to know them. You can take the boy out of Texas, but you can't take the Texas out of the boy. Bush's folksy charm is one of his most winning qualities.

  • Sincerity: Goes hand-in-hand with his idealism. I believe our president really means well when he speaks of spreading democratic ideals like seeds throughout the Middle East - he has a strong belief in the 'spirit' of America (we won't get into theology on that one...today).

So, for all you political cynics out there, chew on that for awhile.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kyle, this is why I love you. Well, one small reason among many. You just made me want to recite the pledge of allegiance or something. Thank you for sticking up for the pres.

Anonymous said...

PS - I'll be looking for the day when you DO want to get into the 'spirit of America.' Please do, friend.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

democrazy=demonsgonecrazy

(I just came up with that... I'm a genius!)

Anonymous said...

Darn it! I meant:

democracy=demonsgonecrazy

(I'm still a genius!)

Anonymous said...

I love this post, I just love it. I will talk to you about it soon.

Victoria said...

hey what happened to you blogging? you disappeared. you're fired. hope you're feeling better. :)