Monday, February 26, 2007

Truth vs. "The Facts"

Been thinking about the fuzzy nature of truth (in the secular arena) lately as I've been reading up a lot on the Iraq war, Bush's presidency, etc.

It seems to me that in our common vernacular truth has become synonomous with 'fact' - but facts themselves can be funny little creatures - especially depending upon the context and tone in which they are shared.

As I've been reading about Iraq, I've discovered that everybody quotes everyone else - and the quotes are usually the same - but...it is often the way the words end up getting interpreted that determines people's opinions.

I feel like i should say something else. but i think i'm done.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You don't have to say anymore. Your terseness got the point across. I hate when people misappropriate facts for truth. What I hate more is when people take advantage of others' ignorance and pass mistruths as fact. Unfortunately, that happens a lot in the blah-gosphere (and also in our own community...)

Kyle said...

yes. hence my 'tag' at the top of my blog. too much hot air on the internet.

Unknown said...

I have been thinking about everything you have ever told me and taught me, that is a lot but I'll just stay up late and write it down, again and again.